Monday, August 11, 2008

Gotcha!!!!


The year was 1971, I was a sophmore at William Woods College, in Fulton, Missouri. I had come home on for spring break. This picture to the right was taken at Christmas a few month's earlier. I thought it would be fun to play this game with my brothers. You know how fun it is to tease and make fun of them...it was always a blast to get into their heads! I had two younger brothers, Skip and Jeff. Jeff is the one in the front. Don't you just love his fashion sense? :) Skip is the third one back, standing behind our mother.
I apologize for the poor picture quality, I had taken this picture out of our father's picture album (the magnetic sheet kind) and I did my best to restore it.


Anyhow, sorry, I keep getting side tracked. So, when I came home, I told my brothers I had this game. But if I explained the game and the rules, they had to agree to play it. There was to be no cheating, no fighting about it. Oh BTW, this two were great at fighting...if one even looked at the other the wrong way, they were in a knock down drag em out fight. I had their solemn oath, that no fighting, cheating or anything else would go on. They were to conduct themselves in good sportsmanship manner. LOL Yeah right and if you believe that...I have some land in Florida to sell, called the Everglades! LOL


Ok...back to my story...so here's the game:


One participant was to form an "O" with their fingers. Kinda like the sign "A Ok"! The other participant was to try to stick their index finger into the center of the finger forming "O". The finger forming "O" had to be below the waist. It could be on your knee, on your leg, over your eyes, if you were laying down on the floor. It just had to be below the waist. I could see the wheels turning in my brothers' heads and them thinking...Oh good another way to pummel that little &^#$ *^(^#$. They thought that game sounded like so much fun. They both heartily agreed to participate in the game. So, every time I would come home, the game started up. Little did I know, to me it was starting up, to them, it was one continuous game...it never ceased. To my understanding, they (my brothers) drove our mother practically to the brink. She would trip over them as she tried to get dinner one night and they were sprawled out all over the floor. Turn around and there they were playing this game.

So, every time I would go home, (to me) the game would start up. We would try to get so creative in how we presented our fingers. Even though our mother didn't like tripping over the boys in her kitchen or almost falling down the stairs because of this game...as soon as the game started up, she would laugh and laugh and laugh. I think we continued the game just to keep her entertained! LOL

As we (or should I say I) got older, we (I) would continue to think of more creative ways to get the boys to look at my fingers shaped "O". One year, my husband and I would at the county fair. There was a booth that did hand cravings. I can't remember all that went on to make it, but it was plastic and your choice of red, green, blue, or yellow. You had to stick your hand into a vat and pull it out or something like that. Well, I did it and you guessed it...my hand dipped into this plastic vat with my hand and fingers in the shape of an "O." I did two of them...one I sent to Jeff and the other I sent to Skip. I also made coffee cups with the fingers shaped "O" on it for both of them. Unfortunately, one of the cups was broken in one of our moves, so there is only one now in existence. That's it, picture above.

We have had so much fun playing this game over the years. I've taught it to my husband (he doesn't play it right!), to my children, to coworkers, to friends. As my brothers have taught it to their loved ones and their coworkers and their friends. Can you imagine? A construction site with a bunch of guys trying to get the others to look at the finger shaped "O" fingers. Or even trying to stick their index finger in the finger shaped "O?" I can't wait to try teaching it to my grandchildren!!!

Now, now, quit scratching your head trying to figure out why I decided to tell this story today of all days? Well, this weekend, my older younger brother Skip, decided to go pay my younger younger brother Jeff a visit. They did some touring around the area. And low and behold...look
what they decided to send me!!!

Gotta Love Em!!!! After all, they're family!!!!!!!!!!!!!


So until next time!!

Gotcha!! :)

Happy Scrappin"!!

Inky Hugs,

Leanne

1 comment:

Elaine said...

LOL - that is a funny story! I'm sure one that will end up on your tombstone and at your funeral! LOL one forever loved by your friends and relatives! :) Glad to be in the THE CIRCLE--arh arh arh! ;) hehehe
Elaine